Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Better Than the Wilderness

Guest Post from Mom:

I am not the love of his life, but I'll do in a pinch. Clyde realized this much Thursday when he and I went to my parents' house without Adella because she was off with her cousins for the day. When I let him out to do the biz, he slipped under a gap in my dad's fence and headed for the woods. I knew we would have to go through this. The moment had adolescence, or neurosis, written all over it. There was no way around it, so we had to get through it. I might have worried that the dog was gone, but I didn't. I stepped into the yard and called for the little dude. He came and darted into the garage. I was better than the great unknown of the woods, but not much. Next, I was better than the great unknown of all dad's treasures in the garage, but not much. Finally, he darted into the house and onto an easy chair when I held the door. He's slowly getting that he can relax. I am not the agent of doom he thought I was. I even gave him some of Buddy's nice cheese to thank him for his troubles.

Later that evening, as he waited for Dell to return, he pined away on her bed. It was the saddest of sights as well as a measure of true love and devotion. Clyde, you break my heart.

1 comment: